– increases insulating properties of an existing building
– can be a low cost solution
– provides continuous insulating envelope – no thermal bridges
– very thick walls
– needs large overhangs
– for best performance windows and doors should be shifted to insulation plane
– difficult to combine with ventilated facade
For plastering staple strips of juta at least 10cm wide to the battens to prevent the plaster from cracking along the battens. When bales are laid flat, grooves can also be cut out into the bales to accomodate the battens.