Trainees know …
- wrapping and retrofitting, the different methods and techniques.
- about requirements for wrapping technique. i.e.: existing walls must be sound and dry, bales lifted from ground (for example on insulated plinth wall), sufficient roof overhang, window detailing (light, airtightness, thermal bridges, weather detailing…)
- the advantages and disadvantages of different wrapping methods and techniques.
- the tools and machines used in the straw bale construction sites.
- the possible dangers, the safe working practices, accident prevention regulations and security data sheets.
- the specific straw bale requests on storing, logistics and knows how to protect the bales and the construction under different weather conditions.
- how to read and implement plans for wrapping and retrofitting.
- the great importance of good quality of straw bales.
- how to adjust the bales to the required size and shape.
- different fixing methods and its characteristics methods of compressing.
- how to fill the gaps between the bales and how to prepare the exterior surface for plastering, cladding, etc.
- Trainee has knowledge about the timetable linked with the costs.
- how to describe the structural link and detailing between wrapping and existing wall to guarantee a lasting airtight compound between structure and wrapping
Trainees can …
- handle the tools and machines which are used in the straw bale construction.
- estimate the dangers linked with it and can avoid it.
- tune the available danger regulations with the other partners (planner, developers, self builders etc.) in a way that the building site is safe.
- apply the different wrapping and retrofitting methods.
- resize and fix the bales and can make a solid wall by filling gaps.
- make a time table and organize the work routines.
- basic carpentry skills to make additional wooden construction.
- make the plinth wall and the other details or to give the order to others to do it.
Trainees can …
- agree with all partners in a way that the building site is safe.
- organize the work on straw bale building site for wrapping and retrofitting and can integrate it with suitable work routines, tools and techniques.
- explain different ways of wrapping and retrofitting and is able to select a suitable method for a specific situation and based on the corresponding advantages and disadvantages.
- inspect and select good quality bales for wrapping and retrofitting. Trainee can control the general quality of the bales and realized constructions during the whole building process.
- make the plinth wall, the other details and the airtightness or to give the order to other to do it.